As the seasons change, so does the need to prepare your home for the changing weather. Harsh winds, snow, and ice can wreak havoc on a household that’s not prepared to face the elements. Winterizing your home can make all the difference when it comes to saving money on utility bills and preventing unnecessary repairs. KBC Remodeling Services of Boulder proudly offers maintenance and handyman services for residential and commercial clients, to include seasonal maintenance and repairs.
Top Tips for Winterizing Your Home
- Clean Those Gutters: Removing leaves and debris that have accumulated in your gutters will prevent snow and ice build-up which can cause damage to the roof and ceiling interior.
- Narrow the Gaps: Not only can holes and cracks around windows and doors allow heat to escape, which can end up being costly when it comes to the utilities, air leakage can also cause poor indoor air quality, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. Caulking and weatherstripping any gaps are an effective way to not only save money on your energy bills, but improve the air quality and comfort in your home.
- Repair or Replace Exterior Doors: Exterior doors can greatly impact air flow. Installing a storm door can significantly improve energy efficiency, as much as 45%. If small drafts are the problem, weatherstripping or draft guards can be a great alternative.
- Install Detectors: Safety is key during the winter months, especially with the regular use of fireplaces and furnaces. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should be installed and tested often to ensure the safety of you and your family.
- Insulate: Proper insulation in the attic and crawl spaces can make a big difference when it comes to saving money and energy and it will help keep your living space warm and cozy during the cold, winter months.
- Sprinkler Maintenance: Freezing temperatures can cause damage to outside faucets and sprinklers. Clearing out excess water and shutting off outside sprinkler systems and faucets will prevent freezing and unnecessary damage.
These tips, along with proper furnace inspections and maintenance can make all the difference when it comes to being prepared for winter. Don’t face the cold alone, call KBC Remodeling Services of Boulder today to schedule your home winterization. Their reliable, trusted team of maintenance and handyman contractors can tackle your residential and commercial seasonal maintenance needs and have you ready to face the winter months with ease.