With Fall approaching, we will start to spend more time huddled around our home’s fireplaces. And even when they’re not in use, fireplaces are often the focal point of a room. If your fireplace is in need of an update, trust the professional designers and contractors at KBC Remodeling Services in Longmont to restore beauty and function to your home’s hearth.
Top Tips to Remodel a Fireplace
- First, consider converting a wood-burning fireplace to gas or electric. Wood-burning fireplaces are inefficient, can aggravate asthma, produce significant pollution and can cause house fires when the chimney is not properly maintained.
- Gas fireplace inserts produce much more heat than wood burning and since they are sealed behind glass doors, indoor pollutants are not a concern. With professional installation, gas units will cost between $2,000 to $5,000 but will save money in the long run with their energy efficiency.
- Electric inserts do not require an exterior vent, so no need for a chimney, and they cost much less than gas models. Some people may feel the lack of real flames in electric fireplaces is a drawback, but the realistic LED technology does still create nice ambience.
- If you are content with your type of fireplace but just want an update, then resurfacing it in new stone, tile or wood will create a dramatic change. Covering the old material with new, instead of completely replacing it, is an affordable approach if the current layout suits you. If you have brick and like the texture just not the color, then painting it is also an option. When your preference is a smooth blank slate, however, then drywalling or plastering over the brick is the best choice.
- Finally, think about any customization you would like to do, such as a new mantel, extending the hearth or adding surrounding built-ins for display and/or storage.
A fireplace renovation can be done anytime, but if you are also planning work on that room’s floor or walls, then it is best to complete the fireplace update first. The professional staff at KBC Remodeling Services in Longmont offers the highest-quality work for every step of a fireplace remodel from design to installation, all at competitive rates with excellent customer service.